Senate defers action on emergency
Senators failed again yesterday to agree on President Goodluck
Jonathan’s request for an extension of the state of emergency in
Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.
The debate on the presidential request started on Tuesday with most senators from the North stoutly opposing the extension.
Senators, after more than two hours, resolved to continue the discussion on the controversial request today
The lawmakers also resolved to invite the Service Chiefs for discussion.
The Senate also mandated Senate President David Mark is to contact
governors of the affected states for more information and for their
input.
After the session, Mark said: “The Senate in executive
session discussed the letter from Mr. President on the extension of the
state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. We had a very
robust and detailed discussion and we will continue the discussion
tomorrow (today).”
The Senate President asked whether what he said was a true reflection of what transpired in the Executive Session.
Senators answered in the affirmative.
Mark also said “the Senate resolved that we will invite the Service
Chiefs to appear before the Senate and be part of our discussion
tomorrow (today).”
He adjourned plenary till today.
Chairman,
Senate Committee on Information, Media and Public Affairs, Senator
Enyinnaya Abaribe, threw more light on the executive session.
Abaribe said “the discussion was very frank, robust and sometimes very acrimonious”.
He said the governors of the affected states would be contacted by the Senate President for more information.
The information offered by the governors, he said, would assist the Senate to arrive at an acceptable decision.
He dismissed the allegation that the Presidency brought money to influence the lawmakers to approve the request.
Abaribe, who described the allegation of bribery as “utter rubbish”,
noted that if senators had been induced to approve the request, they
would they have continued to debate the issue.
Abaribe was optimistic of a breakthrough today after members might have armed themselves with information.
A source at the closed session said the chamber was charged throughout the debate.
He said some senators, especially those opposed to granting the
President’s request, were combative in their approach to the debate.
Those opposed to extension of emergency rule, he said, refused to shift
ground “even after what appeared to be superior argument by those in
support of the President’s request”.
He said: “By and large, the
state of emergency will be extended. There may be no alternative than to
grant the President’s request. We appreciate the position of those
opposed to the request but there may be no alternative than to approve
the request.”
Senate Ahmed Lawan (Yobe North) said: “Many of us are
opposed to it, particularly I am vehemently opposed to it. I believe
that we should explore other avenues but some other people feel
differently and the discussion continues tomorrow (today).
“Let’s
see; could the president under Section 218 not use the military to fight
insurgency in the Northeast? Was it not done in Niger Delta when
insurgency was taking place in the Niger Delta? Was there state of
emergency in the Niger Delta before the operations of the military were
undertaken and successfully too?
On alleged financial inducement to
senators, Lawan said: “I am opposed to the state of emergency, so maybe
if there was money it was never extended to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
To get the world and your friends informed.. Feel free to share every news you read on this site on any web or on any social network by clicking on the SHARE BUTTON ABOVE or share it by any other means but ensure to always share with the site link(web address) for reference and to avoid being SUED for intellectual theft.......post a comment after reading as well..,...we are here to serve you the best
use anonymous to post a comment if necessary